Sunday, March 25, 2012

Days 33-34: 13 weeks until race

I am thrilled to report that I ran 6.5 miles today.  A small part of me feels like I'm dreaming and will wake up to realize it's not true, but it is!  It has to be!  I ran half of a half marathon today :)
I broke my 6.5 mile goal into two 3.25 runs with my famous bathroom-break-and-face-splash in between.  I was pretty anxious during the first run because I kept thinking my knee pain would sneak up on me, but I went slow enough and it never became an issue.  My theory: who cares if it takes me forever.  I'd rather finish than burn out pushing too hard.
The best part: I am still functioning and honestly could've kept running, no problem.  In fact, that was the best hour and some odd minutes of the day.  It flew by!  Wish all runs could be that easy!!

Day 33: Yesterday I went to the gym and tried to take it easy, yet still get a good work out.  I did this by hitting pretty much every machine for a short amount of time.  Did a few assisted pull ups, then hit the stair machine for 20.  Worked out my core and upper body on a few weight machines, then biked for half an hour.  I ended my work out with a relaxing walk, content that I had not worked my healing knee to the ground.  An hour and a half after I got to the gym, and I could still walk, so that was a plus.  Each muscle had its moment of use and then recovery.  Take that knee--I'm the boss!

Quote of the day: "Good things come slow[ly], especially in distance running"-Bill Dellinger, three time Olympian

No comments:

Post a Comment