Thursday, March 1, 2012

Days 10-11: 16.3 weeks until race

Day 11: Today I ran on the other side of the gym, apparently the side where all the novice runners like me run.  I was actually running faster than the people next to me, for once!  The hardest part today was getting to the gym.  It's pretty much routine for me now; sometimes I get there without really realizing it until I'm halfway through my run.  It's like not having to think about brushing your teeth in the morning.  So, today, by the time I got to the gym, I had already won the battle against myself.  Of course after every mile, I tried to find an excuse why I only needed to run one mile or two miles.  Still, I went ahead and completed three miles, which is what I had in mind in the first place.  It was nice knowing I could've continued to four or five miles like my last run, but tonight just wasn't the night for that.  In fact, one of the ways I tricked myself to getting to the gym was by thinking, "It's like my five mile run from two days ago, except I've already run two miles--only three left."  Somehow, the logic worked.

Day 10 was my favorite running day of the year, mostly because I didn't run, and I had two good reasons.  My first good excuse was that I had just run five miles the day before.  That was a great reason!  My second reason was that February 29th should never be a running day.  In fact, in most running plans, this 366th day of the year is not even included.  It's like an extra credit day, and all I'm going for is a passing grade.  I almost think February 29th should be considered a holiday since it only happens every four years.  We made a celebration out of it by going out to dinner instead of running :)

Quote of the day: "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" -Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

No comments:

Post a Comment