Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Days 15-16: 15.7 weeks until race

Day 16: Nothing exciting today, mostly because all I did was the dreaded stationary bike.  I tried to entertain my mind by texting my friends, surfing the web on my phone, watching videos, listening to my i-pod and watching television.  Nothing was that successful, so I was glad when it was over.  I couldn't wait to get home and complain about it.
PS. I can't wait until summer, so I can bike outside and enjoy some good looking scenery!

Day 15 was a somewhat monumental learning day.  Since I'm hoping to not be the slowest person out there on race day, I'm obviously working on increasing my running speed, as well as distance.  In order to avoid getting injured, you are supposed to increase only one variable at a time.  During the week, I only do short runs because I really don't have time to be at the gym for hours on weeknights (yet), so my short runs are a good time to work on speed.
So far, I've been successful when I've increase the speed at the end of a run--it's the "finish strong" mentality.  It also helps the run go by faster.  This run, I decided to try to run a little faster from the beginning or as a "getting started" mentality.  I figured I'd always have the option to slow down.  What a disaster it was to start at a faster speed!  I felt like I was "catching up" for the entire first mile--not the best way to mentally start a run.  I was soon ready for it be over, especially since that's what my body has become accustomed to.  My mind and body were thinking, faster speed equals almost done.  Wishful thinking.  On the up side, I was able to impress my running neighbors early on--until I got to mile 2 and slowed down to catch my breath.  I kept my pace, though, and never stopped to walk.  I'd like to say my finish was strong because I increased the speed again, but this time, my mind and body were thinking, last time you got our hopes up, it was a trick.  Sorry mind and body.  I promise I will never do it again, for a while, at least.
Aside from taking over my life, running has also taken over my thoughts.  You know it's sad when everything in life is comparable to running.  I find myself thinking and saying these things:
"Cleaning is like running because you are always dreading it, but you are happy you did it when it is over."
"Grading papers is like running because it always seems like it's going to be more work than it really is."
"Eating is like running because sometimes you have to just stop yourself."
"Waiting in line is like running because sometimes it feels like it takes forever!"
"Complaining is like running on a treadmill because it gives you something to do, but you never really get anywhere?!"
Well, you get the picture.

Quote of the day: "Running is like a box of chocolates--not every one is going to be your favorite, and each one is a surprise; but all in all, you'd rather have the box of chocolates, right?!"
http://get-fit.fitsugar.com/Running-Like-Box-Chocolates-21203703

No comments:

Post a Comment