Saturday, March 17, 2012

Days 23-26: 14.something weeks until race

Apologies for getting behind on the blogging.  I thought Spring Break would be the perfect time to catch up and get ahead.  Instead, I got behind.  There was just too much going on!  Here is what I can remember from the last four days (thanks to my LoseIt work out log):

Did the stair master today (day 26) to get some cardio but am avoiding the treadmill (saving the run for tomorrow).  I thought I would enjoy the gym after skipping two days, but I was excited when my husband decided it was time to go home after just 45 minutes.  Maybe tomorrow I'll be the one to cut our gym trip short!

Day 25: Cleaned again and even did some calisthenics.  Restrained myself from the urge to go to the gym and run.

Day 24: The most exercise I did on this day was clean our little apartment for fifteen minutes.  The couch was my friend on this day!

Day 23: I went water jogging at H2Oasis, the children's water park in Anchorage.  It wasn't as crazy as I thought it might be (I envision hundreds of screaming children urinating in a pool and drowning each other.).  The river walk was pretty cool, except for the fact that I couldn't swim/walk backwards to get a better work out.  My legs were pretty sore just from trying to race through the river in the same direction of the current.  And I didn't even get any sort of foot fungus, which I kind of expected after I saw that lots of people wear water shoes at the water park.  What a great idea!
Later that day, I went to the gym.  The water jogging must have helped cushion my knee.  I was able to run 2.61 miles on that day (compared to only one mile two days prior).  Still not where I want to be (should be at 6-7 miles), but that's what happens when you screw up your knee.  You can't run.
After my measly two mile run, I finished up a few more miles on the elliptical to keep a cardio pace, but it's just not the same any more.  I even cut my elliptical work out short, so I could get home and veg.  Now that I enjoyed!
My plan from there was to take off a few days to let my knee heal completely.  Obviously, it would need more than a day off to get better.  I gave up on the idea of getting ahead on my running over Spring Break.  My new goal was to just heal and stay right on schedule, hopefully not getting behind because of the knee pain.

Quote of the day: "Running is the greatest metaphor for life because you get out of it what you put into it" -Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment