Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Days 21-22: 14.8 weeks until race

Day 22: The stationary bike doesn't seem so bad when you are not able to run.  I am now thankful that I can at least bike.  Seeing a friend at the gym helped.  It went by fast.
After biking, I did a little bit of arm weights and pull ups.  Part of my running-a-marathon goal is to get my entire body in better shape (not just my legs).  It has taken a long time to develop muscles in my arms, and now that they are there, I'm not sure how much I like them.  Honestly, my shoulders are looking a little manly when I flex.  I stopped working my arms for a while and was hoping the manly-ness would go away, but it hasn't; it's still there.  My ultimate arm goal is for my arms to look tone when I'm NOT flexing.  Not sure how that's going to look if I'm already feeling manly when I flex.  Speaking/typing of manly, I actually did the SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHTS on the weight machines as the guy in front of me.  Either he was a sissy or I'm turning into a man.  Something tells me it's the latter of the two.
Sometimes I wish we lived in a climate where I could show off all my muscles.  Instead, I layer on my winter clothes and just feel like the female-ish version of Clark Kent!

Day 21: After not running for two days because of knee pain, I was anxious to get back to it to see how my knee would react.  Left knee was not happy, which made the rest of me not happy!  It seems as if the treadmill and I will have to part temporarily.  This is obviously not good for training, but it is not worth hurting and being miserable.
When I started my attempt to run, I was surprised that it even hurt my knee to walk at first (not a good sign).  However, I stuck with it and found that my knee actually felt better when I ran...who'da thought?!  I was able to do a slow jog for one mile before I realized it was just too much.  Plus, it was really boring to go so slow.  I ultimately gave up and just went for the elliptical, my long lost friend.
I finished the rest of my short three mile "run" on the elliptical (if you can call it that--the elliptical is hardly running) and went home feeling defeated again :( Watching the Bachelor helped cheer me up.  At least I don't have to throw myself at men to feel better.  I also did some calisthenic exercises while I watched women throw themselves at a man (if you can call him that).  I came across this site: http://www.calisthenicexercise.com/   Calisthenic exercises are a form of simple movement exercises using only your body weight for resistance.  The website proved to be very well organized and user friendly.  (If you want to work your abs, click on abs!)  So, while I wondered how model Courtney never fainted on the show from lack of eating, I worked my butt off (which in my opinion is better than not eating).

Quote of the day: "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a gym" -Bill Nye the Science Guy
1) I did that today!!!
2) Do you remember Bill Nye the Science Guy?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment