Saturday, April 28, 2012

Days 66-68: 8 weeks until race

Today was the 2012 Anchorage Heart Run at University of Alaska, Anchorage.  This marks a year that I have been running and participating in races!
Our goal was to complete the 5k (3.1 miles) in about 27 minutes, which is a little faster than what we usually run when we do long runs.  Strategically, when you run shorter distances, you should be able to run faster since you are decreasing length.  We pushed hard the first mile and completed it in a little over eight minutes, but soon after, my body decided to wig out, especially my stomach.  I think I must of just been pushing too hard because the next thing I knew, I felt like a wanted to barf and die (or die and barf).  At about our halfway mark (13 minutes, which means we would've completed the three miles in 26-27 minutes), I gave up and decided to walk.  No point in being miserable.
It was disappointing, but I realize that sometimes that is how runs go.  It could've been the pressure of race day, or my expectations, but I knew something wasn't right and my body was telling me to stop.  I know I could've kept running, but I didn't want to.  Sometimes, knowing when to stop is more important that pushing to make your goal.
We still got a good work out, of course.  Walked about 45 minutes (20 minutes to complete the race and another 25 to get to the race from the car and back).  I can also tell because I have been starving!  Heart Run registration gives all participants a free subway 6-inch sub.  Can't wait :)
As for the race, there is always next time!

We hit the gym for our usual Friday night-nothing to do routine.  Rather than biking for 30 minutes, I upped my routine to 45 AND increased the resistance in order to strengthen my quads to help minimize knee pain.  About halfway through, I noticed my right quad was feeling more tired than my left.  Big ah-ha moment!  My right leg probably gets a better workout and is therefore stronger and does not experience pain.  For the rest of my stationary bike ride, I focused on using my left leg more.
We also did a few weight machines to strength train, especially glutes and hips.  Our doctor recommended the leg extension/curl machine for quads and hamstrings, so that is in our usual rotation.  By the time we left the gym, my legs were def fatigued--right before race day!  Yikes!!

Day 66: I went walking with some teachers after school.  We got side tracked and ended up at a dead end street and not much time to get back.  Paying attention to where you are walking is always a plus.
We walked three miles in one hour, which was a good enough reason to skip the gym that day.

Quote of the day: "Anybody running beats anybody walking, and anybody walking beats anybody sitting" -Tom Bunk

No comments:

Post a Comment