Thursday, April 19, 2012

Days 56-59: 9.5 weeks until race

Today was another rest day, the second this week.  I had high hopes to hit the gym and at least bike, but I haven't been feeling that well.  Nathan stayed home sick the other day.  I think I am due for a full rest day soon here, and thankfully, the weekend will be here just in time.  There have been too many things going on at school to be able to relax and catch up on rest!
As guilty as I feel for being lazy today, here is my reasoning: I would rather skip a work out today and feel better tomorrow, so I can stay on my running schedule.  There's nothing worse than having to move back a run that you've been looking forward to (getting over).  I'd rather skip a bike than a run!

My "movin'" club met yesterday, which consisted of me and one other gal.  Everyone else was feeling the pressure of the last month of school.  We felt it too...we just decided that some fresh air couldn't make it worse :) In fact, outdoor walking is one of the best ways to de-stress.  Hopefully you are not so stressed that the thought of walking stresses you out though...because then maybe you should pass on the walking.
We walked around the school's neighborhood for 45 minutes at a brisk pace--probably about 3 miles.  And yes, we talked and vented about school!  Nathan was probably thankful that I got it all out before I got home. 

Day 57: Hit the gym after a week away.  Outdoor running is a great way to exercise while escaping the gym.  One of the best things about outdoor running in Alaska this time of year is that you can run your little heart out and never get sweaty.  It's cool enough that your sweat just evaporates away before it even collects, so you stay cool (and look cool--not like a dying, sweaty mess).  The gym felt like a sauna after being able to run outside and stay cool. 
Oddly enough, after a seven mile outdoor run the other day, I could only manage to run on the treadmill for two minutes.  I may never run on a treadmill again.  The elliptical is my new training best friend, at least now that I can run outside. 

Day 56: Rest day.  Mondays are good rest days :)

Quote of the day: "Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is that some of us are in training and some are not" -Dr. George Sheehan
(He forgot choice c: some of us are in training but are enjoying those "rest" days)

No comments:

Post a Comment