Sunday, May 20, 2012

Days 83-90: 5 weeks until race day

Today.  Today!  TODAY!  After traveling all day yesterday and getting very little "rest" over the past few days (read below to understand), I decided it would be a good idea to do a mock mini-triathlon with some friends.  We woke up early and ran a 5k (3.1 miles), biked 15 miles and then did some pool laps.  What killed me was the biking part and how long it was!  My poor little Alaskan-can't-go-outdoor-biking-quads were so not ready :( I hope I can make it up the stairs tonight!
The other problem with the biking part was that I was just super slow...like, the cruisin' people were passing me.  Honestly, I think I would rather have a longer running distance and shorter biking distance, but I say that only because I'm better at running than biking.  The good news is I made it and didn't even have to walk the bike up any of the hills, which by the way are really easy to underestimate.
I thought swimming last would screw me up (and that I might drown from exhaustion), but the pool swim was short and sweet...and nice and cool!  I don't know how people can do a triathlon in reverse (especially a full distance one).  Running AFTER biking and swimming--yeah right!!
Altogether, the mock mini took us about two hours (30 minutes running, a little over an hour biking and 10 minutes swimming, plus transition time).  The verdict is: I am barely ready for any sort of triathlon or anything that involves biking!  I shall stick to running, as long as my knee sticks with me!

Day 89: Flying day; sat in a plane and stared at the seat in front of me, thinking how some people would pay big bucks to travel on a plane that has a built in gym/treadmill.  That would offer better ways to pass the time.

Day 88 was quite an amusing day!  After checking out of my classroom for the summer (YAY!), I dropped off the car at Nathan's work and jogged to meet some friends at TGIFriday's.  I hung out for a bit before leaving to jog to my next destination, Spenard Roadhouse, one of our favorite restaurants.  Running and stopping to hang/snack with friends: the best of both worlds.  I think I could do that all day!

Day 85-87: Note to self--finishing a school year while also packing boxes to move from one place to another while also packing for an upcoming vacation does not leave much time for anything else.  These were "rest days," if you can call them that.  You can't really rest very thoroughly on a blow up mattress (bed was already packed up into storage).  Yikes!

Day 84: Hit the gym in a very attention deficit way.  Couldn't do much of anything for more than 20 minutes without getting super bored, so I decided my goal for the day was to migrate from machine to machine: treadmill (walking only), elliptical, bike, and various weight machines did the trick :)

Day 83: "Rest day," again, if you can call it that.  This is when the official "moving" started...

Quote of the day: "The Creator has not given you a longing to do that which you have no ability to do" -Orison Swett Marden

No comments:

Post a Comment