Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Days 116-120: 3 days until race

I biked about 10 miles today (leisurely) and enjoyed a beautiful Alaskan summer day.  Most of my running training today was mental.  I've been reading a book called Marathon: You can do it by Jeff Galloway, a famous running author.  I read a few pointers about race day (start slow, drink at the water stops, eat an energy gel during the last few miles, etc.).   Galloway also suggests training on part of the course, if possible, which is what we have been doing.  This should take away some of the surprise/anxiety element of not knowing what to expect on the run.  There's even a schedule on what to eat the day before the race, and how to prepare during those last few days and hours.  Most of it was info I already am aware of, but better to know twice than never!
One of my favorite reads was regarding motivational chants.  Galloway suggested runners save thoughts about relaxation, gliding and power for those last few miles that can really be tough.  My plan is to mentally focus on relaxing during mile 11 (because I'm sure I'll be really tense), gliding during mile 12 (to decrease impact and to continue on, even though I probably won't want to), and power during that last 0.1 mile (sprint!).  I can't wait to put the chants into practice.  I've also been envisioning myself crossing that finish line...I'm SO going to cry!  What a journey this has been, but rather than being the end, it is only the beginning.
I have a few goals in mind as far as time is concerned.  My main time goal is to start slow and keep steady, so that I can really go until the end and still have energy to sprint.  I don't want to be miserable, burnt out or injured.  I also want to finish with enjoyment and the feeling that I can do better--next time.  This is my first (and definitely not last) half marathon.  I already know I will have many more to come :)
Back to time...a few notes.  My dream is to one day finish in under two hours.  I'm not there yet, but I will try.  If this doesn't happen this time around, good!  That means I still have some more running to do!  My vision is to finish in 2:10-2:15, which I know is doable.  I ran 12 miles in 2 hours, which means I can run 13 miles in 2:10 and 13.1 in 2:11.  The extra four minute pad is in case of pain/drawback.  It's also a nice round number (math dork alert)!  My back up goal that I made just so that I can meet a goal (just in case I suck on race day) is 2:30.  These would be 11:30 miles, which is 5.2 mph.  Even my worse run (10 miles in two hours) was faster than that.  So, worse case scenario, I at least meet this back up goal, hopefully.
These three tiered goals are based on the fact that I want a reasonable goal but I also want a dream goal and a back up goal.  If my dreams come true, more power to me, but if not, at least I'll still feel accomplish and not like a sore loser.  At least I am starting and finishing, right!?  (Oh, the irony if I twist my ankle or something and end up in the ER instead of crossing the finish line--extra little prayer).
With that, it's time to go to bed.  I read that it is not uncommon to be restless the night before the big day and stay up all night with excitement.  That being said, the 2-3 nights before the race are most important.  Time to hit the hay!

Yesterday, I went for a four mile hike and then hit the fancy Alaska Club for free as a potential future member.  I got some price quotes, a tour, a guided workout on the circuit, and a visit to the steam room and hot tub!  Still contemplating if I can happily fork out $100 bucks a month, but my "trial run" sure was enjoyable!  Can't beat my $15 Planet Fitness membership--what a steal!

Day 118: Physical rest day & errands

Day 117: Fishing day!  I think I am better at running...maybe I will start a fishing blog (the blogging worked)!

Day 116:  Best long run ever, especially after that torturous ten mile run earlier in the week!  A few days ago, we ran (more like fumbled our way through) 10 miles.  It was hard on me in every way (physically, mentally, etc.) and took two hours.  Well, for our next long run, we decided to break the run into 12 separate miles and take a 30 second walking break at each mile marker.  Supposedly, this helps give your muscles a break and actually helps you decrease your time (because then you have more energy to continue and finish the race strong).  I was hesitant at first because it seems kinda wimpy, but man, was it the best idea ever or what!  We actually ran two more miles in the same amount of time (12 miles in two hours).  The run was much more doable and enjoyable, especially since you can trick yourself into thinking, just keep going for one more mile (or 12)!

Quote of the day: "Running is a life long sport, a long journey into one's self" http://www.wildcats.rockriver.net/quotes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment