Saturday, February 9, 2013

19 weeks until Marathon

Since my last post (two weeks ago--the date of my last long run), our treadmill has been getting lots of action.  I didn't write about my last long run, but overall, it went really well.  I ran eight 9 minute miles and then finished my last mile in a little over eight minutes.  I've been learning that, just as Jeff Galloway states, "all of us have much more potential than we usually allow ourselves to explore" (out of his book Training Programs, pg. 67).  I feel almost guilty that I did not share this quote on my last post, since that was a tradition I had created for my blog--to share some food for thought that helped me focus through my runs.  I've adapted this quote and actually say it out loud as I run: "I am more capable than I think I am...I am more capable than I think I am!"  (By the way, my husband thinks I'm crazy for talking to myself out loud while I run on the treadmill.  Oh, the joy of not being that crazy person at the gym!  I have the luxury of doing it in my own home.)

After my nine mile run, I started pushing myself to run faster, focusing on speed instead of distance (because I have two weeks of short runs between long runs).  I became curious as to what my fastest mile could be.  It'll be hard to even know, but I'm getting closer.  I ran a 7:57 mile, and then beat that a few runs later...

Which brings me to today's run: 10.5 miles total, with the last mile completed in 7:45.  I almost started crying when I was done; In fact, I actually couldn't believe it when I had finished.  I kept checking the clock/mileage on the treadmill screen.  How could I have completed my third longest run with no pain, no problem?  I could've kept running!  Not one mile was a misery, which is weird because sometimes a three mile run can seem like the end of the world.  I was never bored.  (I've found great pleasure in looking out the window while I run and watching cars slide down the street!)  That's when I started thinking that maybe some running alien took over my body.

Another accomplishment of today's long run was that I found my perfect snack!  After trying and spitting out some of those bars that taste like poo or fall apart in your hands while you run, I tried an Odwalla Fiber Bar (Dark Chocolate Chip Walnut flavor).  It's kinda like having a bite of oatmeal while you run--it tastes like real food, and after you gulp down some water, you feel like you just had a pick-me-up meal.  It is close to the snack guidelines given by Galloway (220 calories, 60 from fat--he says to stay away from high fat calories, which is almost impossible).  While I always enjoy gummy bears or some expensive running chew near the end of a run, I believe I've found the snack to carry me through the marathon!  One step (or 10.5 miles) closer :)

Quote of the day: "Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can" -Lowell Thomas, American writer (I love how inspiration quotes apply to every aspect of life)


No comments:

Post a Comment