Monday, July 8, 2013

It's about time I reflect on 26.2

Been very busy since the marathon.  My summer masters classes started and I've been trying to get out and be active in other ways since I know long distance running should not be the only way I get my heart pumping.  My husband and I have a new goal to get in shape by putting on some muscle, which is hard to do when you are running long distances.  So, we've started to incorporate more weight training into our routine and we're cutting back on running.  I ran six miles the other day around my neighborhood and it was perfect.  Great distance, great scenery and great feeling :) Happy to report that I still love running after that damn marathon!

Speaking of the marathon...I always find it beneficial to reflect on things in life as they come and go (my teaching, running, just about everything).  It's been a while since the race itself, but I'm sure it would be good to document those moments of torture that I remember so that when my crazy self tries to sign up for another one, I have documentation of why I shouldn't...kidding :)

Actually, surprisingly, it was a lot of fun!  (I say that now because I am not currently running or training to run 26.2 miles).  No, really, it was a great experience--one that I am happy to look back on.  So, here goes:
The last few days before race day could not have been better.  I was eating the recommended foods from Jeff Galloway's training programs (small snacks and meals every 1.5 hours).  I hydrated with water only throughout the day and took melatonin so I could sleep at night.  I refrained from taking melatonin the night before the race to avoid grogginess.  Because our sleep and eating patterns were in control, we felt in control.

The day before the race, I got everything ready for my husband and I in separate bags (clothes, bibs, snacks, water, etc.).  Our bags were surprisingly full!  This is a great race trick that I would highly recommend: do your laundry, and get your clothes ready as well as other supplies you've trained with.  No one wants to be looking for that one lucky/magic sock that is probably hiding somewhere dirty...so, plan, plan, plan!

Since everything was well planned out, race morning went super smoothly!  My husband and I had already thought about the car/driving situation, thankfully.  Because the start and finish were in different locations, we left one car parked near the finish with a key inside (use padlock to get in).  We didn't have to run with a stupid key!

Throughout the day, I kept reminding myself to savor each moment, and the starting line was no exception.  I looked around, made observations, took in deep breaths.  I know it sounds weird, but it was actually really calming.  I thought to myself, this is my last pre-marathon moment.  After this, I might not be able to run.  Of course, thoughts of doubt went through my mind about not being able to finish or getting hurt, but I had practiced being in control of those thoughts during my training.  (Mind training is almost more important than running training for long distances).  I was in control.

The first few miles were AWESOME, which is usually not the case for me.  It takes me a few miles to get into the zone, which is why I am not a fan of 5K races.  By the time I climb over "the wall" and get into my groove, the race is over.  Long distance running is perfect for me.  I may be slow, but I feel like I can run forever.  

The first half of the marathon was slow.  We told ourselves it was because we were conserving energy to speed up the last half.  Lies!  We ended up going even slower for the last half, but at least we finished.  I was even more thrilled to speed by a half marathoner at the finish line who had started an hour after us.  Evil, I know!

Other highlights & memories:
*I had a hard time getting into the zone THE WHOLE RUN because of the trail we were on—there were lots of rocks and things to watch out for!  In fact, I slightly twisted an ankle at one point and had no other choice than to run it off!  It was beautiful though and certainly beats a treadmill or track!!
*As planned and practice, we passed at least one person on every hill (burn to their ego).
*Nathan had to remind me once or twice to control my breathing (I was listening to music and therefore couldn’t hear my-terrible-self panting for life)
*I’m pretty sure we passed mile marker 18 twice.
*We ran 26.2 miles.
*We ran 26.2 miles!
*We were pretty sore halfway through (hence the slowing down), but I had just enough energy to kick ass the last 0.1 mile, which is the most important part—I fooled the crowd into thinking I am a good runner J

Quotes for the day:
“Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind” – Psalm 26:2

“The person who starts the marathon is not the same person who finishes” -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment